Thursday, June 24, 1999

Watermelon, pros and cons


Photo: Little girl + watermelon + dirt = fun for all.


Watermelon is the elixir of my sweetie's summertime existence. Watermelon is fine in theory, but considering the seeds and the wateriness, there is a certain price to pay for all that bland sweetness.

If I eat it with a spoon or fork, I either have to dig out the seeds before putting a bite in my mouth, or I become a seed spitter. Either process is likely to spread seeds beyond my plate, and is a rather inefficient use of mealtime, with all the herding of seeds I must do between bites.

If I cut watermelon into "sailboats" and eat it with my hands, I get watermelon juice on my cheeks and running down to my elbows, after which I feel the need of a shower. Another time-consuming prospect.

Above is one of my favorite photos, Sassafras (the Artist) at age 1 1/2 when we were watching her dad play softball in the park. For some reason I had the presence of mind to remove her shirt before she ate the watermelon, and it was a good thing I did, because she juiced herself inside and out, then played in the dirt. She was an adorable little topless mudball and didn't care a whit about all the attention she got for her appearance. Everyone grinned at her, and she grinned right back.

A big watermelon will take up the entire bottom shelf of the refrigerator, and the leavings will clutter the counter top after a meal, demanding "take me out to the compost bin" immediately after each partaking. Too bad we no longer have chickens. The chickens went crazy for watermelon. Yeah, that's right, my sweetie and the chickens, crazy for watermelon.

But, all that said, a nice cold watermelon on a 96 degree day -- mmmmm. . . nothing better! I was willing to pay the price today, and was glad I did it at the time.

Watermelon has a major fault. For me it is a sleep repellant. I've known this for at least ten years, and no longer will eat watermelon as a bedtime snack. Strawberries affect me the same way. I eat neither within 4 hours of bedtime if I want to sleep at all. In about an hour I will learn if 6:00 p.m. is too late for me to eat melon.

What a thrill my life is, me waiting on tenterhooks to see if watermelon will keep me awake.

© LDN

1 comment:

Note saver said...

Watermelon and strawberries are a migraine trigger in some folk. - Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could always buy a seedless watermelon :) [spunkster]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You’re a hoot! I loved this entry! [sansi]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for yr note. too true, too true. you must know by now if the three little piggies cried wee wee all the way........to the BR :0)) [cali]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ohhh! i love this entry tooo !! thanks for the kind note on my blog...may you have watermelon blessings today! [allofme]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are a master ...you have us all in the palm of your hand, and I’m loving every minute. [teacher_mx]